Government Chemist Kenya
The Government Chemist Department is the Central Chemical Testing Laboratory for the Republic of Kenya with its headquarters in Nairobi and branches in Mombasa and Kisumu.
It was set up in 1912 as an independent section of the National Public Health Laboratories in the Ministry of Health to offer forensic science and analytical laboratory services. It was transferred to the Office of the President in March 1976 and was later transfered back to the Ministry of Health in 1999. During the reorganization of the Government structure in July 2018 the department was moved to the State Department for Interior in the Ministry of Interior and Co-ordination of National Government.
The Department is tasked with the provision of Forensic science and Analytical Laboratory services besides being the National Authority for the Chemical Weapons Convention (CWC) and serves as the Secretariat for the National Chemical, Biological, Radiological and Nuclear (CBRN) Centre of Excellence (COE) initiative.
Physical Address: Hospital Road next to Kenyatta National Hospital
P.O. Box: 20753-00202
- +254 20 2725806/7/73/4
- +254 20 2336300
- +254 723 850 490