NURSING COUNCIL KENYA
Nursing Council Kenya
The Nursing Council of Kenya (NCK) is a statutory body established by the Nurses Act Cap 257 of the Laws of Kenya to ensure the delivery of safe and effective nursing and midwifery care, to the public, through quality education and best practices.It is the only professional regulatory body for all cadres of nursing and midwife
The Nursing Council of Kenya is responsible for:
[i] making provision for the training, registration, enrollment and licensing of nurses;
[ii] regulating their conduct;
[iii] ensuring their maximum participation in the health care of the community;
[iv] connected purposes.
Nursing Council of Kenya found at the nursing council of Kenya Plaza. Which is located at Karbanet lane off Ngong’ Road in Nairobi. When using public means of transport one can reach the Nursing Council of Kenya by going Kencom bus stage which is situated on City hall way outside Kencom and opposite Hilton hotel. When you get there choose a bus that ply’s route 8.
P.O B.O.X 20056-00200,
It is the responsibility of the Nursing Council of Kenya to ensure that all nurses that are within its jurisdiction meet a certain level of competence before starting their practice. The licensing examination is administered to the nurses using the regional centers and it has 5 different papers for basic cadres and 3 papers for other cadres.
For Exam results visit here
Licensing (Nursing Council Kenya )
According to Act 257 of the Laws of Kenya, each nurse that is practicing in Kenya should be registered and licensed with the Nursing Council of Kenya.
For registration and licensing click here
Nursing Council Kenya University/ college Requirements
For those who want to do a degree or diploma in nursing they need to meet the following requirements.
Degree in nursing
For candidates who want to do Bachelor of Science degree in nursing should have the following tries
• Biology C+
• Chemistry C+
• Mathematics or physics C+
• English or Kiswahili C+
• Have a minimum grade of C
Diploma in nursing
For the candidates who want to do diploma in nursing should meet the following requirements.
• Have a division IV or D in their KCSE
• Be enrolled in a community health Nurse
Licensing of nurses
For a nurse to practice in Kenya he or she should be licensed with the Nursing Council of Kenya. The license that will be issued to the nurse needs to be renewed in every three years. The license expires on midnight of the expiration date which is the first day of the expiration month. If a nurse does not renew their license their name will be removed from the national register and the registration will lapse according to Cap 257 of Kenyan law.
Nursing Council of Kenya has a mandate to place their students for internship. This will help the nurses to undergo training that is required which will make the students to utilize their activity log book and master rotational plan.
Code of ethics for nurses in Kenya
The following are some of the code of ethics for Kenyan nurses.
• Nurses must provide care to all members of the public without prejudice of age, religion and ethnic group.
• Uphold the health of consumers’ human right as provided by the constitution.
• Avoiding negligence malpractice and assault while providing care to the patient.
• Relate with the patient in a professional manner only.
• Provide information that is accurate truthful and accurate and present it in a way that the patient can understand.
National Nurses Association of Kenya (NNAK) is a professional body that represents all nurses in Kenya. It was established under cap 108 of the laws of Kenya in 1968.NNAK works in promoting social-economic development of nurses, excellences in nursing practice and leadership. This is through a high standard of nursing education. For one to be a member in NNAK, they have to be a nurse and fill a form that is available on their website.
Accredited Schools to offer nursing in Kenya
The following schools have been accredited by the nursing council of Kenya to offer nursing degree
1.Aga Khan University
2. Baraton University
3. Chuka University
4. Daystar University
5. Dedan Kimathi University
6. Egerton University Nursing Council Kenya
7. Great Lakes University Nursing Council Kenya
8. Jomo Kenyatta University of Agriculture and Technology
9. Kabarak University Nursing Council Kenya
10.Kabianga University College
11. Kenya Methodist University
12. Kenyatta University Nursing Council Kenya
13. Kisii University
14. Masinde Muliro University of Science and Technology
15. Moi University, Eldoret
16. Mt. Kenya University Nursing Council Kenya
17. Presbyterian University of East Africa
18. Pwani University College Nursing Council Kenya
19. Regina Pacis University College
20. University of Nairobi Nursing Council Kenya
21. Uzima University College
- Pharmacy and Poisons Board
- Clinical council of Kenya
- Schools accridited to offer pharmacy in Kenya